About Crappie USA
Who is Crappie USA?
Crappie USA was formed in 1996 to purchase "Crappiethon" from Johnson Worldwide Associates.
To establish and expand a family-oriented, cost effective and competitive arena for amateur and semi-pro crappie anglers as the foundation to promote and market products and services.
Why the Crappie Market?
Crappie/Panfish anglers are identified by the latest National Survey of Fishing by the Federal Fish and Wildlife agency as the largest freshwater fishing segment in America - 14.2 million. Representing 25% of the total freshwater market, these anglers spend an average of 27 days annually in pursuit of their favorite specie versus the next closest specie at 15 days. Prior to Crappie U5A, this market did not have any national promotional efforts to drive sales of its products and services.
Crappie USA Accomplishments:
- First and largest crappie tournament organization in the world.
- Founder of the American Crappie Association, the first and largest association of crappie anglers.
- Established member publication - The Outdoor Journal Magazine.
- Established crappie club affiliations.
- Established the Crappie Kid's Fishing Rodeos - Free for youngsters 12 and under, conducted at every tournament site. Prizes to each youngster attending and all become eligible to win one of six (6) $1000 scholarships given away annually, total to date: Over $250,000.
- Established Adult/Youth and Male/Female divisions within tournaments to further promote family fishing (presently represents 32% of total participants).
- Introduced Semi-Pro Crappie Tournaments in 2000.
- Co-Founder of the First TV show dedicated to crappie fishing Crappie University.
- The first crappie organization to have mandatory catch and release in crappie tournaments.
- Led a successful campaign to eliminate commercial fishing for crappie on Reelfoot Lake.
- Helped to acquire grants for habitat restoration on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.
- Tournament and promotions held in eastern, central, south, southeastern and midwestern states.
- Recognized by National Sponsors as one of the top promotional marketing companies in our industry.
- Our sponsors and retailers have told us that the only segment of the freshwater fishing market experiencing sales growth over the past 5 years has been crappie/panfish.
Why Crappie USA Tournaments Are Unique?
25+ events conducted annually in 20+ states.
The tournament sites are divided into 2 regions. Each region usually conducts 2 fall and 10 spring qualifying tournaments and a regional championship where teams may earn the right to compete in the "Super Bowl of Crappie Fishing", The Cabela's Crappie USA Classic held in September or October each year. We average 8,100 anglers annually.
Several new lakes scheduled each year.
In an effort to introduce Crappie USA and our National Sponsors to new markets, we have designed our tournament weekends and our tournaments to reach a diverse market and maximize exposure for our Sponsors.
$100.00 allows a team of two to compete on a national level in our Amateur Division. This draws more family competitors and also brings in competitors that otherwise would not compete in tournament fishing. We further encourage family involvement with our Male/Female, Female/Female, and Adult/Youth divisions.
For the more competitive minded, we offer a Semi-Pro Division with higher entry fees ($200.00) and paybacks at each event.
In 2000, we introduced the first of what have become highly popular Super Events. These events are designed for teams desiring higher levels of competition and payback.
Continual Growth Of Classic Purse.
From $65,000 in 1996 to over $170,000 in cash and prizes in 2006, the Classic payout has brought accelerated media attention and exposure to the events. Additionally, multiple groups film the Classic each year.
Positive Reinforcement of our Future Anglers.
We established the Crappie Kids Fishing Rodeos that are held in conjunction with all our tournaments to encourage America's youth to actively participate in the preservation of our lakes, the sport of fishing, and their educational goals. All participants are eligible for the six (6) $2000 college scholarships awarded every year. Over $250,000 in scholarships awarded to date.